Ex-Mass. mobster seeks 8-month trial delay
This undated file booking photo, obtained by WBUR 90.9 - NPR Radio Boston, shows Boston mob boss James "Whitey" Bulger, who was captured on June 22, 2011, in Santa Monica, Calif., after 16 years on the lam. Federal prosecutors in Boston filed notice on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 that they are dropping a 1994 racketeering indictment against Bulger. In the notice, U.S. Attorney Carmen Ortiz says prosecutors consider a later 1999 indictment charging Bulger with 19 murders the stronger case. (AP Photo/WBUR 90.9, File)
BOSTON (AP) — Lawyers for Boston mobster James "Whitey" Bulger have asked a judge to delay his trial by eight months.
Bulger, the former leader of the Winter Hill Gang, is charged with playing a role in 19 killings. His trial is scheduled to begin in March, but his lawyers have said they cannot be ready by then because they are reviewing more than 300,000 documents turned over by prosecutors. They have asked that the trial be moved to November 2013.
Bulger’s lawyers say in court papers filed Friday that the current trial date infringes on Bulger’s constitutional rights to effective counsel and due process.
Bulger fled Boston in 1994 and was captured last year in California.
The defense says Bulger was an FBI informant who had immunity.