Officials: Autopsy can’t say how man found in Woodstock woods died
July 26, 2013 12:06 AM | 2602 views | 0 0 comments | 5 5 recommendations | email to a friend | print
By Joshua Sharpe

Authorities say an autopsy could not determine a cause of death of a man found dead near the Cherokee-Cobb County line near Woodstock by a Kennesaw State University biology student who was searching for snakes Saturday afternoon.

Lt. Jay Baker, spokesman for the Cherokee Sheriff’s Office, said Thursday morning that because of the highly decomposed, skeletal condition of the body found in the woods off South Cherokee Lane, medical examiners were unable to determine how or when the man died.

Investigators have, however, learned that the remains were that of a black man about 6 feet tall and somewhere between the ages of 27 and 53, Baker said.

The man was wearing blue jeans with burgundy shorts underneath and size 13 Adidas tennis shoes. Also found with the body was an expandable baton with a nylon case, Baker said.

Despite the lack of information on how the man died, Baker said the Georgia Bureau of Investigation autopsy did reveal that the man had “no broken bones or trauma to the skull.”

Since the body was discovered, the Cherokee Sheriff’s Office has looked through its missing persons cases and asked neighboring jurisdictions to do the same, but the man has not matched the description of anyone listed as missing.

With the new information from the autopsy in hand, Baker said detectives did another search of missing persons in the Cherokee County but had “no success.”

Investigators have asked that sample photos of the man’s clothes and the baton found with his body be released to the public in hopes that someone recognizes something, Baker said.

“(They) hope that someone from the public will come forward with new information to assist in the investigation,” Baker said.

The body was found Saturday afternoon lying in the woods about 30 yards from a home owned by Jennifer Allgood and her husband, Adam. Allgood said Monday that she and her husband moved into the house only a few weeks ago.

“I’m just shocked that no one saw it,” Allgood said. “We can see it from the house.”

Lt. Col. Ron Hunton, field operations commander for the sheriff’s office, said Monday that it did not appear the body had been outside Allgood’s home too long.

“I don’t think it’s been (there) a great length of time,” Hunton said. “It’s nothing like years, or even months.”

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, spam, and links to outside websites will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides