The council unanimously approve a request from developer Wes Latimer on behalf of Darrell and Debbie Ingram, Daniel and Kathleen Harrison and Shipp and Frances Cain to rezone 2.15 acres at 630, 650 and 690 Marietta Road from office professional to R-21 two-family residential and would allow for a total of 10 units.
The Galt House at 690 Marietta Road was built by Jabez Galt around 1842 and has considerable historic significance.
The Canton Planning Commission recommended approval based on two conditions: that the existing Galt House is retained on the property and its historical appearance is maintained; and that fencing and Leyland cypress trees are installed along the rear property line.
The City Council approved the request.
Canton Planning Commission member Bill Magruder, husband of Nell Galt Magruder, a descendant of the original owner, told the council during public comment that he wanted to change his vote on the issue.
Originally, Magruder voted in favor of the zoning request, but after getting more information, he wanted to inform the council that he was now against the plan.
Nell Magruder spoke at the council’s work session urging members to preserve the house and saying she was distressed by the plan.
Latimer said at the time the duplexes “won’t get close” to the Galt house. The developer said the existing shared driveway for 630 and 650 Marietta Road will remain intact and he also plans to improve the driveway entrance for the Galt home.
The council also:
* Heard its comprehensive annual financial report, which will be discussed during its June 7 work session;
* Approved a beer and wine pouring license for Romeo’s Canton LLC at 1453 RiverStone Parkway;
n Tabled indefinitely a discussion on amending the fiscal year 2012 budget to provide for the funding of two additional firefighters;
* Approved an updated procedure for work sessions and regular meetings, which outlines which meetings and which circumstances would be allowed for the city council to take action on items on the agenda. The vote was 4-2, with council members Bill Bryan and Hooky Huffman opposing;
* City Manager Scott Wood informed the council the city is using generators;
* Mayor Gene Hobgood said he will bring a recommendation to replace Mark Walker, who resigned from the Canton Planning Commission; and
* Hobgood also said the terms of Downtown Development Authority board directors Wanda Roach, Cleveland Chambers and Lewis Cline are approaching their end and also said he’ll bring back recommendations on their replacements.