After series of 911 calls, SWAT search turns up empty
by Joshua Sharpe
May 21, 2013 10:17 PM | 2608 views | 0 0 comments | 8 8 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Staff/Joshua Sharpe<br>
Police secure a home on Hillcrest Ridge Lane ind Canton as a SWAT team searches inside.
Staff/Joshua Sharpe
Police secure a home on Hillcrest Ridge Lane ind Canton as a SWAT team searches inside.
Police and residents wait to learn the result of the search.
Police and residents wait to learn the result of the search.
CANTON — A series of 911 calls late Monday afternoon led to one arrest and a SWAT team search of a home in the Hillcrest subdivision off Highway 140 in Canton.

Pacer Cordry, spokesman for the Canton Police Department, said Monday night the search of the home turned up with no suspect, and police now believe there was no suspect to be found.

Cordry said the incident began when police received a 911 call from the Laurels of Greenwood apartment complex near Hillcrest after 4 p.m. Monday.

The caller reported a black male near the woods “brandishing” a gun, Cordry said.

“Upon arrival, the subject fled from officers into the woods,” he said.

Cordry said police later arrested a 17-year-old suspect.

At about the same time as the arrest, a homeowner on Hillcrest Ridge Lane called police to report she believed someone may have been in her home and officers from around Cherokee County responded.

The SWAT search, which took about 20 minutes once started, was a precautionary measure, Cordry said.

At 6:30 p.m., residents of the Hillcrest subdivision lined the streets of the neighborhood, waiting for answers to the vastly spreading rumors of who police were looking for and why.

They also said they were ready to go home.

Other residents, though, like Christy Myerscough who lives in a home next to the home being searched, said she had been told to not leave her home.

Myerscough told the Tribune from inside her home just before 7 p.m. that police had told her to go inside and lock her doors before the search started.

She said she learned just before 5 p.m. what was going on next door.

After her young daughter said “Mommy, there’s police in the yard,” Myerscough said she opened her door to look out and was told go back in and lock up.

The search ended just after 7 p.m. with no suspect.

Cordry said police believed there may have been a second suspect based on information from numerous reports from nearby and the call from the homeowner.

Cordry said detectives are looking into whether the suspect had a gun.

The suspect has been charged with obstruction, Cordry said.

Cordry said that no other suspects were being sought in the incident, but more charges could come for the teenager.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, spam, and links to outside websites will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides