Official: 5-year-old starts fire at home
by Staff reports
May 24, 2013 10:25 PM | 3493 views | 0 0 comments | 11 11 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Fire Photos
Image 1 / 5
CANTON — Firefighters battled a fire Thursday afternoon believed to be started by the homeowners’ 5-year-old son.
The 5-year-old started the fire in his bedroom closet with a cigarette lighter at a house in the Copper Hills subdivision around 2 p.m. Thursday, a spokesperson with the Cherokee County Fire and Emergency Services said.
An investigator reported that the child’s grandmother called 911 after the 5-year-old came out of his room screaming that the house was on fire, said Tim Cavender, spokesman for the fire department.
Cherokee County Fire and Emergency Services and the Canton Fire Department responded to the call after the grandmother tried to put the fire out with a bucket of water.
Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the house, Cavender said.
The house was damaged by smoke, water and fire. However, reports indicated that firefighters were able to prevent major damages.
All of the residents made it out of the home without injury.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, spam, and links to outside websites will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides