India halts treasure search triggered by dream
November 15, 2013 06:45 AM | 431 views | 0 0 comments | 1 1 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Indians stand near the fort of King Rao Ram Baksh Singh in Unnao, in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, India, Friday, Oct. 18, 2013. Archaeologists began digging for treasure beneath a 19th century fort in northern India on Friday, after a popular Hindu holy man said a former king appeared to him in a dream and told him of a nearly $50 billion cache. (AP Photo)
Indians stand near the fort of King Rao Ram Baksh Singh in Unnao, in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, India, Friday, Oct. 18, 2013. Archaeologists began digging for treasure beneath a 19th century fort in northern India on Friday, after a popular Hindu holy man said a former king appeared to him in a dream and told him of a nearly $50 billion cache. (AP Photo)
slideshow
In this Thursday, Oct. 17, 2013 photo, people visit the fort of King Rao Ram Baksh Singh in Unnao in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh state, India. Archaeologists began digging for treasure beneath the 19th century fort on Friday, after a popular Hindu holy man said a former king appeared to him in a dream and told him of the cache. (AP Photo)
In this Thursday, Oct. 17, 2013 photo, people visit the fort of King Rao Ram Baksh Singh in Unnao in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh state, India. Archaeologists began digging for treasure beneath the 19th century fort on Friday, after a popular Hindu holy man said a former king appeared to him in a dream and told him of the cache. (AP Photo)
slideshow
LUCKNOW, India (AP) — An Indian official says archaeologists have called off a search for treasure beneath a 19th century fort after finding only few bones and terracotta bricks, and none of the gold predicted by a Hindu holy man's dream.

The search began Oct. 18 in Uttar Pradesh state in northern India after Hindu swami Shobhan Sarkar told a government minister that a former king appeared to him in a dream and told him of a nearly $50 billion cache.

The leader of the dig, Praveen Kumar Mishra, said Friday that the hunt had been suspended.

Officials earlier said they found signs of heavy metal about 20 meters (66 feet) underground. But Mishra said that appeared to have been an error.



Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, spam, and links to outside websites will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides