Georgia makes plan to move forward on road projects
by Christina A. Cassidy, Associated Press
May 15, 2014 10:15 AM | 241 views | 0 0 comments | 0 0 recommendations | email to a friend | print
ATLANTA (AP) — State officials say they plan to move forward with major transportation projects despite the threat of a loss in federal transportation funding, by using $81.5 million in accrued state motor fuel funds and the sale of $130 million in previously authorized bonds.

A spokesman for Gov. Nathan Deal said Thursday the funding plan will allow the state to proceed with reconstructing the Interstate 285/Georgia 400 interchange in metro Atlanta, among the most congested in the country. Deal spokesman Brian Robinson says the board of the Department of Transportation approved the funding plan at a Thursday meeting in Bainbridge.

Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx has said the federal Highway Trust Fund is expected to run dry by late August and that transportation aid to states would be delayed without congressional action.



Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.



Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, spam, and links to outside websites will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides